Since the establishment of Department of Finance of National Taiwan University in 1985, our department has expanded from the initial undergraduate school to the current institution, including a under graduate school and a graduate school for masters and PhD. In addition, Department of Finance NTU started the class of EMBA in 1997. The master’s program also founded Division of Financial Engineering in 1998, Division of Insurance in 2001, and the doctoral program recruited students for the Division of Finance, Division of Financial Engineering, and Division of Insurance. Department of Finance of NTU continues to grow, not only reflecting Taiwan’s liberalizations in economic development and the financial market, but also exhibiting the results of the faculty and the students’ hard-working these years.
The beliefs of Department of Finance of NTU in education supply our students with the most comprehensive and professional finance education to respond the changes in the financial environment and the challenges in the field of financial services. Cultivating students both educationally and emotionally mature, we also use the idea of foresight to shape our students’ attitudes toward their jobs and their services. In regards to our classes, we not only include the traditional subjects of financial management, securities investment, finance, and insurance, we also encompass the topics of financial engineering, real estate, computers, finance laws, and other areas related to finance so that our students can obtain complete knowledge of finance and respond to the many challenges posed by the internationalization of finance. In addition, by arranging partnerships with financial institutions and corporations in and out of Taiwan, we supply students with internship opportunities during the winter and summer vacation and favorable scholarships to deepen their integration of theory and practice and their ideas for their future career direction.
Because of the continuous hard-working and growth of our faculty and students, Department of Finance has become not only the first choice in the College of Business Management in the College Entrance Examination but also surpassed Department of Law of NTU and became the first choice for the fields of literature, law, and business. Of course, we will not be satisfied with our current achievements; we will continue to research and innovate to advance ourselves so that Department of Finance will be an internationally prestigious financial institution.
To cultivate more financial elites and acquire more academic research developments, we continuously hire professors specialized in financial engineering, insurance, real estate, and other fields to join in our institution. We also emphasize the collaboration between practitioners and academia to help our students utilize their theoretical knowledge in their actual practice so that they can be more diversified. We believe that, with the collaboration of all our students and teachers, Department of Finance of NTU not only can continue to be the most prestigious business school in Taiwan but can also become a celebrated school internationally.
The beginning of Department of Finance NTU could be traced to the time of Department of Business’s College of Law. In 1963, the Business Department was subdivided into Division of Banking, the Division of Business Administration, Division of International Business, and Division of Accounting. Division of Banking was the predecessor of the present Department of Finance. In 1985, the four groups were individually upgraded to departments. Because the term “bank” cannot fully describe the field of finance and because the University wanted to catch up with international finance, Division of Banking was renamed Department of Finance and Department of Finance appeared.
It has been twenty years since Department of Finance was founded, and Taiwan, along with its financial sector, has developed rapidly, making financial services one of the mainstream influences of Taiwan’s future economic development. Faced with numerous people’s needs for a comprehensive financial education, Department of Finance of NTU officially established the research department of Department of Finance in 1990, doubled enrollment in 1991, and established a PhD program in 1993. In addition, to satisfy the demand for high-level professional financial personnel, National Taiwan University’s Department of Finance started the EMBA program. Furthermore, our masters program founded Division of Financial Engineering in 1998, Division of Insurance in 2001, and our PhD program also recruited students for Division of Finance, Division of Financial Engineering, and Division of Insurance in 2001.
With the belief of educating future professionals in finance, banking, insurance, and real estate, Department of Finance of NTU continuously recruits the most excellent teachers and expand and improve the teaching facilities. To accommodate the challenges posed by the financial environments nationally and internationally, we also used a teaching philosophy of foresight to train our students’ attitude toward their jobs and services. In addition, to deepen the integration between theory and practice, we also worked with major financial institutions (including Taishin Holdings, Chinatrust Financial, Cathay Financial Holdings, Fubon Financial﹞to provide students with internship opportunities during the winter and summer vacation and also favorable scholarships. Because of the diligence of our students and teachers, Department of Finance has become one of the most prestigious departments, along with National Taiwan University’s School of Medicine and Department of Electrical Engineering of NTU, in Taiwan. In the future, we will work to educate even more excellent finance personnel and acquire even better research results to make Department of Finance of NTU one of the most prominent schools of finance internationally.
1. Faculty Planning: 1). We communicate and collaborate with internationally renowned scholars and teachers to enhance our academic research and teaching quality. 2). We utilize our teachers with flexibility, and we work with Academia Sinica, related departments, and professional managers to start classes. 3). We hold symposium regularly and arrange for colleagues to study abroad. 4). We provide an environment that promotes communication and cooperation, and we encourage research and teachings between different institutions and fields.
2. Academic Research: 1). We promote the researches of finance, banking, and securities. 2). Many teachers receive annual research scholarships, which bring impressive results. 3). （3）We encourage teachers to contribute to foreign journals and magazines and participate in international seminars.
3. Cooperative Education: 1). We intend to apply the part-time expert system and hire high-end, experienced professionals to start courses. 2).We sign cooperative education contracts with companies with good reputations to provide students with scholarships, internship opportunities, business advices, and sponsorship for departmental activities.
4. Education: 1). In response to the rapidly changing financial market and instruments, we adjust our core curriculum to provide a solid basal education. 2). We provide a variety of elective courses to give students knowledge of multiple fields. 3). We provide more practical courses to strengthen integration of theory and practice. 4). We provide special research programs to enhance the research and analysis capabilities of our students.
5. Internationally: In order to integrate with the rest of the world, 30% of the students of Department of Finance took extra foreign language courses other than English. For the graduate program, business English is a required course. Other than this, many graduate and undergraduate students also apply to foreign exchange programs.